Frequently Asked Questions
When does Registration Open?
Registration will open on April 7, 2015.
Where is the Conference being held?
George R. Brown Convention Center
1001 Avenida De Las Americas, Houston, TX 77010
Monday, October 19 - Wednesday,October 21, 2015
Cut off Dates for Pricing
|Early Bird||July 7, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. ET|
|Regular||October 17, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. ET|
|Onsite||Begins October 18, 2015|
Click here for the 2015 Conference on Volunteering and Service registration fees.
- Conference Volunteer: You get a discounted rate if you sign up to volunteer for a 4 hour shift. You sign up once you register. All volunteer shifts are first come, first serve through registration. You also MUST select a volunteer shift in order to proceed with your registration.
- Points of Light Member Registration: To qualify for the member price, the registrant must be a current memberof Points of Light. Membership will be validated during the registration process. If registrant has issues validating membership then they should be directed to call Points of Light at 404-979-2900 and ask to speak to their membership contact. If they don't know their membership contact the receptionist can direct them to the right person.
- To qualify for the student fee, students must present a valid student ID at the registration kiosk when they check in. To qualify for the National Service (current AmeriCorps, current Senior Corps or AmeriCorps VISTA) registration fee, members must wear their National Service uniform or present a valid ID. If a valid ID is not produced, or you are not wearing your National Service uniform, the applicable on-site registration fee will be charged.
- If you are interested in discounted group registration rates please email email@example.com.
Attendees typically include, but are not limited to:
- Volunteer coordinators and supervisors
- HandsOn Network Action Centers (also known as HandsOn Network Affiliates)
- Nonprofit Professionals
- Workplace volunteer managers
- Leaders in corporate social responsibility
- AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, and Learn and Serve America program directors and staff
- AmeriCorps Alums
- Social entrepreneurs
- Funders and philanthropists
Children under the age of 18 must be escorted by a parent or custodian.
Who is Points of Light?
Points of Light, the world's largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages four million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people where it's needed most. To learn more about Points of Light go to pointsoflight.org.
Are registrants allowed to bring guests?
Registered attendees are welcome to bring a guest for an extra fee. Guest registration is available to any spouse/partner of a registered attendee. Their participation, however, is limited. Workshops are open to registrants only. Co-workers and/or business partners are not considered guests and should register as attendees.Please register your guest(s) when you register for Conference.
Schedule and Itinerary Builder
Where can I find a schedule of Conference events?
Click here for a current schedule at a glance, subject to change.
Where do I select workshops and events that I would like to attend?
The "Itinerary Builder" is available through registration. Attendees can select the specific workshops, special events, specialty trainings and receptions they would like to attend on the Itinerary Builder page in their registration record. The only way to guarantee a spot in a session is by adding it to your itinerary.
Where can I view sessions without logging into my registration record?
Session Locator is the application that allows you to view all of the Conference workshops and sessions before registering for Conference.
I still have a balance due; can I make a payment onsite?
Yes, please visit the "Registration Payments and Questions" counter at the registration. You can also go to the Program Viewing Station and log into your registration record to make a credit card payment to an outstanding balance.
Where can I get a completed W-9 form?
For organizations that need a W-9 form to process payment, download a completed W-9 form.
- Credit Card: (American Express, Discovery, Visa, Master Card)
- Check: Please make your check payable to "Points of Light" and be sure to reference "Conference 2015" on the memo line to ensure accurate processing. Please mail checks to 600 Means Street Suite 210 Atlanta, GA 30318. There is a $50 fee for all returned checks. Your attendee status will be considered "pending" until payment is received and processed.
- Purchase Order: Mailing address for PURCHASE ORDERS should go to 600 Means Street Suite 210 Atlanta, GA 30318. In order to attendee the Conference you must be fully paid and in "active" status. Payments must be received before you can be admitted into Conference.
Travel, Accommodations and Transportation
Only available after registration is complete.
- Hilton Americas - $219
- DoubleTree by Hilton - $179
- Hyatt Regency - $189
- Magnolia Hotel - $209
- Holiday Inn - $174
Approximately four weeks before the conference starts, attendees will be able to call the hotel directly to get their reservations numbers or make alterations directly with the hotel.
GOVERNMENT RATED ROOMS are LIMITED AND OFFERED ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS. Registrations that reserve a government rated room must show proof upon check in to the front desk.
If there is a question that you can't answer or they have a very specific question about a session you can tell them to email the below email address. You can also email the question for them.Â
Transportation to Houston
- Hobby Airport (HOU)
Cab fare from Hobby Airport (HOU) to Downtown approximately $22
- Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
Cab fare from Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Downtown approximately $45
- Hobby Airport (HOU)
$6 Cab Fare Anywhere Downtown
The City of Houston has authorized a flat taxi fare of $6 for all trips in the downtown area. This $6 fare will apply anywhere within the Central Business District, bounded by Interstate 45, Interstate 10 and U.S. 59. The fare, in addition to increased downtown taxi stands, provides an easy alternative to driving to lunch, business meetings and activities throughout the downtown area. No surcharges will apply to the fare, which can accommodate multiple riders under the $6 total rate.
Taxi stands are designated areas where cabs can "stand" and wait for a fare. Additionally, there are at least 30 "hailing cab" icons on various downtown streets, which mark that particular site as a three-minute zone where taxis can briefly stop to pick up and drop off passengers.
Free transportation in Downtown Houston - GreenLink Buses
Seven buses operate in Downtown Houston Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., about 7-10 minutes apart. The route spans 2.5 miles with 18 stops and connects Metro transit stops, the convention corridor, hotels, restaurants, shopping and entertainment.
Greenlink buses stop at popular downtown destinations including GreenStreet, George R. Brown Convention Center, Discovery Green, Main Street Square, City Hall and the Central Library and connects to Metro Park & Ride services and to the Main Street MetroRail line.
The buses run on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), making them a cleaner transportation alternative. Features of the buses include a streamlined, modern design, low-floor access, perimeter seating, high-quality air conditioning, 28-seat capacity, a front-mounted bike rack and are ADA compliant.
Click here for a route map of the GreenLink Buses
|Average Temperatures||Average Precipitation|
|September||89° F||68° F||September||4.33|
|October||82° F||59° F||October||4.50|
For more information about Houston, please visit www.visithoustontexas.com