Frequently Asked Questions
When will registration open for the 2014 Conference on Volunteering and Service?
Registration is now open! Register now to receive the discounted, early bird rate.
How much does it cost to attend?
Registration costs start as low as $300 and vary by registrant type. For a full list of registration fees, please view our pricing chart. The general sessions, workshops, forums, service project and access to the exhibit hall are included in the basic pricing. Some sessions have additional fees that will be noted in the Itinerary Builder application, which launches in mid-February.
Under which registration category and subcategory should I register?
Read this quick overview before you start the registration process to ensure you register under the correct category and subcategory, which determines your registration rate.
- Conference Attendee - The majority of registrants will fall into this category.
- Conference Volunteer - Each year Conference volunteers are needed to help with tasks such as stuffing Conference bags, greeting attendees and helping with registration. Conference volunteerssign up for at least one four-hour volunteer shift. In exchange for their service, they receive a discounted registration rate. Conference volunteers have the same access to Conference events as other attendees. If you register as a Conference Volunteer you will be required to sign up for a four-hour volunteer shift before completing your registration. Anyone can sign up for a four-hour Conference volunteer shift to receive a discounted registration. Volunteer shifts are limited and are first come, first served.
- Conference Sponsors - If you are part of an organization that is sponsoring Conference, please register as a Conference Sponsor. Conference Sponsors have access to all sessions and plenaries.
- Specific Event Only - This registration category will launch in mid-February when the Itinerary Builder is available through registration. Please register under this category if you are interested in attending only one of our pre-conference specialty trainings offered on Saturday, June 14 and/or Sunday, June 15. You will be charged the price of the specialty training for which you register, and you will have access to only that training.
- Volunteer Only - Each year Conference volunteers are needed to help with tasks such as stuffing Conference bags, greeting attendees and helping with registration. If you are interested in volunteering at Conference you can register as a Volunteer Only for no charge. However, you will NOT have access to any sessions or plenaries.
- Accepted Speakers - If you have been accepted by the Conference planning team to present a session during one of the five workshop blocks at Conference Submitters were notified of their proposal status during the first week of February. If you submitted a proposal and did not receive a communication about the status of you proposal please contact us. There is a limit of three speakers per session. Speakers have access to all sessions and plenaries.
NOTE: Once you select your registration category you will be prompted to select a subcategory.
- Points of Light Member - Formerly known as "HandsOn Network Member," a Points of Light Member is an organization that has access to and relies on the services provided by Points of Light and HandsOn Network through a membership. If you register as a Points of Light Member, our database will verify your membership before you receive access to begin registration. If you are a Points of Light Member and you are denied access please call 404-979-2900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Points of Light members include:
- HandsOn Network Affiliates
- Corporate Service Council companies
- Nonprofit and government members (via HandsOn University)
- AmeriCorps Alums members
- Points of Light staff
- Members of the Points of Light Board of Directors
- CNCS Grantee or Project - Corporation for National and Community Service grantees and projects include:
- AmeriCorps state and national program/host site
- AmeriCorps VISTA programs/host sites
- CNCS staff
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day grantees
- Senior Corps programs
- Social Innovation Fund grantees/subgrantees
- State commissions
- 9/11 grantees
- Nonmember: National Service Member - This subcategory includes:
- Current serving AmeriCorps state and national members
- Current serving AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps members
- Current AmeriCorps VISTA members
- Current FEMA Corps members
- Current Senior Corps volunteers
- Nonmember: Business - This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representingbusinesses or corporations.
- Nonmember: Nonprofit - This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing nonprofit organizations.
- Nonmember: Foundation - This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing foundations.
- Nonmember: Education - This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing K-12 schools, colleges or universities. Students also fall into this subcategory. If you are a current student you may qualify for a discount. Please scan a copy of your student ID and email it to email@example.com for a discount code.
- Nonmember: Government - This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing government organizations.
- Nonmember: Faith-based - This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing faith-based organizations.
Are registrants allowed to bring guests?
Registered attendees are welcome to bring a guest for an extra fee. Guest registration is available to any spouse or partner of a registered attendee. Guest participation, however, is limited. Workshops are open to registrants only. Co-workers and/or business partners are not considered guests and should register as attendees. Please register your guest(s) when you register for Conference.
Does the 2014 Conference offer the family badge like in 2013?
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer family badges for the 2014 Conference. However, if you are traveling with your family and are looking for recommendations on shopping, sporting events, entertainment and dining in Atlanta, please visit www.attend.atlanta.net. For a list of "50 Fun Things to Do in Atlanta," please visit www.atlanta.net/50funthings.
Schedule and Itinerary Builder
Where can I find a schedule of Conference events?
A schedule at a glance is available on the Conference website.
View all workshop and special event descriptions before you build your itinerary.
Where do I select workshops and events that I would like to attend?
The "Itinerary Builder" that is now available through registration. Attendees can select the specific workshops, special events, specialty trainings and receptions they would like to attend on the Itinerary Builder page in the registration process.
What is the "Itinerary Builder" application?
Itinerary Builder is the application that allows registrants to filter, search and choose sessions to add to your Conference schedule. It is only available during the general Conference registration process.
What is the "Session Locator" application and how does it differ from "Itinerary Builder?"
Session Locator is the application that allows you to view all of the Conference workshops and sessions before registering for Conference. It is also the tool that builds your personalized itinerary to help you manage your time while onsite at Conference. It has the same filtering functions as Itinerary Builder.
How do I use the Itinerary Builder and Session Locator tools?
For detailed instructions on how to build your itinerary or use the Session Locator tool to plan your itinerary before accessing the Itinerary Builder through registration please visit our Itinerary Builder details page
I registered before the Itinerary Builder application launched. How can I sign up for sessions?
Log back into your registration record by using the email address and password you created when you initially registered. Once you are logged in, click the button that says "Build My Itinerary" to visit the Itinerary Builder page. Once you are finished, click the "I am Done with Sessions" button under your session selections in order to save them.
Please note that our opening and closing plenaries are all conveniently added to each attendee's itinerary automatically.
Where can I get a completed W-9 form?
For organizations that need a W-9 form to process payment, click here to download a completed W-9 form.
I'd like to pay my balance by check or purchase order. Where do I send the check?
All payments by check or purchase order must be postmarked by May 23, 2014. If you are registering after May 23, 2014, you will be required to pay during the onsite registration process unless you pay with a credit card online.
There is a $50 fee for all returned checks. Your attendee status will be considered "pending" until payment is received and processed.
Please make your check payable to Points of Light and reference "Conference 2014" on the memo line to ensure accurate processing. Please mail checks and purchase orders to:
Tradeshow Multimedia, Inc.
ATTN: Points of Light Event Staff
4350 Renaissance Parkway, Suite D
Warrensville, OH 44128
What is your cancellation policy?
All requests for cancellations and refunds must be made in writing and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Cancellation Request" or "Refund Request" in the subject line. The date of the cancellation will be the date the email is sent. It is the responsibility of the registrant to confirm receipt of cancellation.
There is a $100 processing fee for all cancellations. No refunds will be issued for registrations cancelled or created after 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, May 23, 2014. Credit card refunds will be issued at the time of cancellation approval by the Conference team. Check refunds will be issued within 60 days of the cancellation request.
I have already registered, but I can no longer attend. Can one of my colleagues attend in my place?
Substitutions will be honored until 5 p.m. ET Wednesday, June 3, 2014. In order to process a substitution, the original registration must be paid in full and should not be cancelled. Payment method changes will not be honored. Please contact 888-892-9040 or email email@example.com to make a substitution.
What volunteer opportunities are available?
We have hundreds of opportunities to volunteer this year, including greeting and assisting other Conference attendees, packing Conference bags, assisting with registration and more. You may sign up for as many shifts as your schedule can accommodate.We will do our best to place you in the role you choose, but we may have to make some adjustments based on the needs of the Conference planning team.
If you would like to volunteer at Conference please register under the Conference Volunteer category; you will receive a discounted registration rate in exchange for working at least one four-hour volunteer shift. If you would like to volunteer at Conference but not attend the Conference please register under the Volunteer Only category. If you register under the Volunteer Only category there is no cost to volunteer, but you will not have access to any workshops.
If I volunteer during Conference, do I receive a discounted registration rate?
Yes, we do offer a discounted registration rate for attendees who will volunteer for at least one four-hour volunteer shift during Conference. If you would like to volunteer at Conference and receive the discounted rate please register under the Conference Volunteer category. You will be asked to sign up for one four-hour volunteer shift before your registration is complete.
Volunteering at a service project does not count as a Conference volunteer shift and you will not receive a discounted registration rate for participating. All Conference volunteers must register and show up for his or her four-hour shift to receive the discount.If a volunteer misses his or her volunteer shift, he or she will be charged the full registration fee.
When will exhibitor registration open?
Exhibitor registration will open on Mar.10, 2014. Visit www.volunteeringandservice.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on becoming an exhibitor.
How much does it cost to purchase a booth in the exhibit hall?
For nonprofit organizations a 10'x10' booth costs $1,500. Each nonprofit organization must provide a copy of its 501(c)3 letter to receive the nonprofit rate. For-profit organizations will be charged $1,900 for a 10'x10' booth.
What is included in the booth price?
A booth package includes:
- A 10'x10' space
- Draped table with two chairs
- Pipe and drape divider
- One full attendee registration
- Two exhibit hall-only badges
- Listing in program book
- Listing on website
Add-ons to your exhibit hall booth include:
- Logo placement on Conference website - due by May 23 (vector artwork required) - $350
- Ad in Conference program book - art due by March 28
- Quarter-page ad - $2,000
- Half-page ad - $3,500
- Full-page ad - $4,500
- Additional name badge for exhibit hall only - $25 each
Other equipment may be purchased directly through our exhibit hall vendor.
What kinds of organizations exhibit at the Conference on Volunteering and Service?
Conference participants are interested in the latest education, communication, recognition and consulting tools and techniques to support and enhance their volunteer programs and civic engagement. Past exhibitors have included:
- Civic organizations
- Community-based organizations
- Computer software companies
- Companies focused on education
- Government agencies and organizations
- Professional development and training companies
- Promotions and gift companies
- Publishers of educational and youth-focused materials
- Service-learning organizations
- Companies providing youth-oriented products and services
- Organizations servicing veterans and military families
Being an exhibitor means exposure to 5,000 leaders in the nonprofit, corporate, innovation and activism arenas. With a full schedule of registration, workshop sessions, networking space and special events, you're assured a steady stream of traffic throughout Conference.
Travel, Accommodations and Transportation
What airport should I fly into?
Attendees can fly into Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), the busiest and most efficient airport in the world.
Where should I stay when I'm in Atlanta?
The Conference on Volunteering and Service has reserved room blocks at five hotels. Discounted rates for these hotels will be available through our housing website, which attendees can access once they have completed the registration process. The official Conference hotels include Omni Hotel at CNN Center, Embassy Suites Atlanta at Centennial Olympic Park, Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown and Holiday Inn Atlanta - Downtown Centennial Park. Rates range from $149 to $179 per night plus taxes. All Conference hotels are within walking distance of the Georgia World Congress Center, the Conference site, and many other Atlanta attractions, restaurants and entertainment options in the Centennial Park area.
Will ground transportation be provided?
All Conference hotels are within walking distance to the Georgia World Congress Center, the Conference site. The closest hotel is the Omni Hotel at CNN Center, which is just steps to the Georgia World Congress Center. The Holiday Inn Atlanta - Downtown Centennial Park is the farthest,a half mile from the Conference site. Please anticipate a 10-15 minute walk each morning. Hotel shuttles will not be provided.
Single & Double Rooms
per diem Rate
|Omni Hotel at CNN Center||$179||$133|
|Embassy Suites Atlanta at Centennial Olympic Park||$175||$133|
|Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown||$169||$133|
|DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown||$175||$133|
|Holiday Inn Atlanta Downtown Centennial Park||$149||$133|
Rates range from $149 to $179 per night plus taxes. All conference hotels are within walking distance of the Georgia World Congress Center, the Conference site, and many other Atlanta attractions, restaurants and entertainment options.
Omni Hotel at CNN Center
100 CNN St.
Atlanta, GA 30303
Embassy Suites Atlanta at Centennial Olympic Park
267 Marietta St.
Atlanta, GA 30313
Holiday Inn Atlanta - Downtown Centennial Park
101 Andrew Young International Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30303
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown
275 Baker St., NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
160 Spring St., NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
For questions related to hotel accommodations please send us an email, email@example.com, or call 866-229-2386.