Frequently Asked Questions
When will registration open for the 2013 Conference on Volunteering and Service?
Registration is now open! Register now to receive the discounted early bird registration rate.
How much does it cost to attend?
Registration costs start as low as $300 and vary by registrant. For a full list of registration fees, please view our pricing chart. All general sessions, the Welcome to D.C. celebration and access to the exhibit hall are included in the basic pricing. Some sessions have additional fees that will be noted in the Itinerary Builder application.
I have a question about Conference registration, who can I contact?
Please contact our registration help desk by calling 888-892-9040 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Which registration category and subcategory should I register under?
Confused about which registration category and subcategory to choose? Read this quick overview before you start the registration process to ensure you register under the correct category and subcategory. Choosing the correct category and subcategory is important in determining your registration rate.
- Conference Attendee — The majority of registrants will fall into this category.
- Conference Volunteer — Each year Conference volunteers are needed to help with Conference related tasks such as stuffing Conference bags, greeting attendees and helping with registration. Conference volunteers attend the Conference but also sign up for at least one four-hour volunteer shift. In exchange for their service, they receive a discounted registration rate. Conference volunteers will have the same access to Conference events as other Conference attendees. If you register as a Conference volunteer you will be required to sign up for a four-hour volunteer shift before completing your registration. Anyone can sign up for a four-hour Conference volunteer shift to receive a discounted registration. Volunteer shifts are limited and are first come, first serve.
- Conference Sponsors — If you are a part of an organization that is sponsoring Conference please register as a "Conference Sponsor." Conference Sponsors have access to all sessions and plenaries.
- Specific Event Only — This registration category will launch in mid-February when the Itinerary Builder is available through registration. Please register under this category if you are interested in attending only one of our specialty trainings offered on Friday, June 21 or Saturday, June 22. You will be charged the price of the specialty training you register for. You will have access to only the specific training or event for which you are registered.
- Volunteer Only — Each year Conference volunteers are needed to help with Conference related tasks such as stuffing Conference bags, greeting attendees and helping with registration. If you are interesting in volunteering at Conference you can register as a "Volunteer Only" for no charge. However, as a "Volunteer Only" you will NOT have access to any sessions or plenaries.
** If you have been accepted by the Conference planning team to present a session during one of the five workshop blocks at Conference you should have already been notified. If you did not receive a letter of acceptance or declination please contact email@example.com. Accepted Speakers will be sent specific registration instructions. There is a limit to three speakers per session. Speakers have access to all sessions and plenaries. **
Once you select your registration category you will be prompted to select a subcategory.
- Points of Light Member — Formerly known as "HandsOn Network Member," a Points of Light Member is an organization that has access to and relies on the services provided by Points of Light and HandsOn Network through a membership. Points of Light members include:
- HandsOn Network Affiliate
- Corporate Service Council Company
- Nonprofit & Government Member (via HandsOn University)
- Business Member
- Corporate Volunteer Council Advisory Council
- AmeriCorps Alums
- Points of Light Staff
- Points of Light Board of Directors
If you register as a Points of Light Member your membership will be verified by our database before giving you access to begin registration. If you are a Points of Light Member and you are denied access please call 404-979-2900.
- CNCS Grantee or Project — CNCS grantees and projects include the following:
- AmeriCorps State and National Program/Host Site
- AmeriCorps VISTA Program/Host Site
- CNCS Staff
- MLK Day Grantee
- Senior Corps Program
- Social Innovation Fund Grantee/Sub grantee
- State Commission
- 9/11 Grantee
- Nonmember: National Service Member — A National Service Member is a current serving member of one of the following programs:
- Current Serving AmeriCorps State and National Member
- Current Serving AmeriCorps NCCC Member
- Current AmeriCorps VISTA Member
- Current FEMA Corps Member
- Current Senior Corps Volunteer
- Nonmember: Business — This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing a business or corporation.
- Nonmember: Nonprofit — This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing a nonprofit organization.
- Nonmember: Foundation — This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing a Foundation.
- Nonmember: Education — This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing a K-12 school, college or university. Students also fall into this subcategory. If you are a current student you may qualify for a discount. Please scan a copy of your student ID and email firstname.lastname@example.org for a discount code.
- Nonmember: Government — This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing a government organization.
- Nonmember: Faith-based — This subcategory is for Conference attendees who are not Points of Light Members and are representing a faith-based organization.
Are registrants allowed to bring guests?
Registered attendees are welcome to bring a guest for an extra fee. Guest registration is available to any spouse/partner of a registered attendee. Their participation, however, is limited. Workshops are open to registrants only. Co-workers and/or business partners are not considered guests and should register as attendees.
Please register your guest(s) when you register for Conference.
What is a family badge?
Points of Light's Conference on Volunteering and Service, with the help of Destination DC, is excited to offer an exciting way to receive discounts to local restaurants, attractions and preforming arts while you are in town for Conference through the Show Your Badge program. All you have to do is show your Conference badge at participating restaurants and venues and you will receive a discounted. If your family is traveling with you to Conference and wants to take advantage of this program while you are in sessions, just register your family members for a family badge through the registration system on the "Guests and Family Badges" page. Family badges are free but there is a limit of three family badges per attendee. Visit the Destination DC website created specifically for attendees of the Conference on Volunteering and Service for more information about the Show Your Badge program.
Schedule and Itinerary Builder
Where can I find a schedule of Conference events?
A schedule at a glance is available on the Conference website.
Where do I select workshops and events that I would like to attend?
The "Itinerary Builder" that is now available through registration. Attendees can select the specific workshops, special events, specialty trainings and receptions they would like to attend on the Itinerary Builder page in the registration process.
Our opening and closing plenaries are all conveniently added to each attendee's itinerary automatically.
What is the "Itinerary Builder" application?
Itinerary Builder is the application that allows registrants to filter, search and choose sessions to add to your Conference schedule. It is only available during the general Conference registration process.
What is the "Session Locator" application and how does it differ from "Itinerary Builder?"
Session Locator is the application that allows you to view all of the Conference workshops and sessions before registering for Conference. It is also the tool that builds your personalized itinerary to help you manage your time while onsite at Conference. It has the same filtering functions as Itinerary Builder.
How do I use the Itinerary Builder and Session Locator tools?
For detailed instructions on how to build your itinerary or use the Session Locator tool to plan your itinerary before accessing the Itinerary Builder through registration please visit our Itinerary Builder details page.
I registered before the Itinerary Builder application launched. How can I sign up for sessions?
Log back into your registration record by using the email address and password you created when you initially registered. Once you are logged in, click the button that says "Build My Itinerary" to visit the Itinerary Builder page. Once you are finished, click the "I am Done With Sessions" button under your session selections in order to save them.
Please note that our opening and closing plenaries are all conveniently added to each attendee's itinerary automatically.
Where can I get more information on specialty trainings?
This year the Conference on Volunteering and Service will not offer any pre-conference session, instead, there will be several specialty training sessions that start after the closing plenary on Friday, June 21. Specialty trainings will be available Friday, June 21 â€“ Sunday, June 23. To search for specialty trainings use the date search filter in the Session Locator or Itinerary Builder.
Where can I get a completed W-9 form?
For organizations that need a W-9 form to process payment, download a completed W-9 form.
I'd like to pay my balance by check or purchase order. Where do I send the check?
Paying by check or purchase order requires all payments to be postmarked by May 30, 2013. If you are registering after May 30, 2013, you will be required to pay during the onsite registration process unless you pay with a credit card online.
There is a $50 fee for all returned checks. Your attendee status will be considered "pending" until payment is received and processed.
Please make your check payable to "Points of Light" and be sure to reference "Conference 2013" on the memo line to ensure accurate processing. Please mail checks and purchase orders to:
Tradeshow Multimedia, Inc.
ATTN: Points of Light Event Staff
4350 Renaissance Parkway Suite D
Warrensville, OH 44128
What is your cancellation policy?
All requests for cancellations and refunds must be made in writing and emailed to email@example.com with "Cancellation Request" or "Refund Request" in the subject line. The date of the cancellation will be the date the email is sent. It is the responsibility of the registrant to confirm receipt of cancellation.
There is a $100 processing fee for all cancellations. No refunds will be issued for registrations cancelled or created after 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, May 30, 2013. Credit card refunds will be issued at the time of cancellation approval by the conference team. Check refunds will be issued within 60 days of the cancellation request.
I have already registered, but can no longer attend. Can one of my colleagues attend in my place?
Substitutions will be honored until 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday, June 5, 2013. In order to process a substitution, the original registration must be paid in full and should not be cancelled. Payment method changes will not be honored. Please contact 888-892-9040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a substitution.
What volunteer opportunities are available?
We have hundreds of opportunities to volunteer this year including greeting and assisting other Conference attendees, packing Conference bags, assisting with registration and more. You may sign up for as many shifts as your schedule can accommodate.
We will do our best to place you in the role you choose, but may need to make some adjustments based on the needs of the Conference planning team.
If you would like to volunteer at Conference please register under the "Conference Volunteer" category if you would like to receive a discounted registration rate in exchange for working one four-hour volunteer shift. If you would like to volunteer at Conference but not attend the Conference please register under the "Volunteer Only" category. If you register under the "Volunteer Only" category there is no cost to volunteer but you will not have access to any workshops.
If I volunteer during the Conference, do I receive a discounted registration rate?
Yes, we do offer a discounted registration rate for attendees who will volunteer for at least one four-hour volunteer shift during Conference. If you would like to volunteer at Conference and receive the discounted rate please register under the "Conference Volunteer" category. You will be asked to sign up for one four-hour volunteer shift before your registration is complete.
Volunteering at a service project does not count as a Conference volunteer shift and you will not receive a discounted registration rate for participating. All Conference volunteers must register and show up for his or her four-hour shift to receive the discount. If a volunteer misses their volunteer shift, he or she will be charged the full registration fee.
When will exhibitor registration open?
Exhibitor registration is now open! Click here to find out more information about exhibiting and to purchase your booth. Booths are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does it cost to purchase a booth in the exhibit hall?
For nonprofit organizations a 10'x10' booth costs $1,500. For-profit organizations will be charged $1,900 for a 10'x10' booth. Nonprofit organizations must provide a copy of the organization's 501(c)3 letter to receive the nonprofit rate.
What is included in the booth price?
A booth package includes the following:
- 10'x10' space
- Draped table with two chairs
- Pipe and drape divider
- One full attendee registration
- Two exhibit hall badges only
- Listing in program book
- Listing on website
Add-ons to your exhibit hall booth include:
- Logo placement on Conference website - due by May 24 (vector artwork required) - $350
- Ad in Conference program book - due by April 12
- 1/4 page ad - $2,000
- 1/2 page ad - $3,500
- Full-page ad - $4,500
- Additional name badge for exhibit hall only - $25 each
Other equipment may be purchased directly through our exhibit hall vendor.
Exhibitors will also be given the opportunity to donate an item to the Conference silent auction that will take place in the exhibit hall. Items must be worth up to $500 and approved by Conference staff. Exhibitors who donate an item to the auction by April 5 will receive recognition in the Conference program book.
If you are an exhibitor and would like to donate to the silent auction you must first purchase your booth. You will be able to indicate that you would like to donate an item through the Exhibitor Service Center. For questions related to the silent auction please contact email@example.com.
What kind of organizations exhibit with the Conference on Volunteering and Service?
Conference participants are interested in the latest education, communication, recognition and consulting tools and techniques to support and enhance their volunteer programs and civic engagement. Past exhibitors have included:
- Civic organizations
- Community-based organizations
- Computer software companies
- Education-based companies
- Government agencies and organizations
- Professional development and training companies
- Promotions and gift companies
- Publishers of educational and youth-focused materials
- Service-learning organizations
- Companies providing youth-oriented products and services
Being an exhibitor means exposure to 5,000 leaders in the nonprofit, corporate, innovation and activism arenas. With a full schedule of registration, workshop sessions, networking space and special events, you're assured a steady stream of traffic throughout the Conference.
When will media registration open?
Media registration is now open. To register, visit the registration page. For the media registration access code and instructions please contact:
Travel, Accommodations and Transportation
What airport should I fly into?
Attendees can fly into Ronald Regan National (DCA), Dulles (IAD) or Baltimore (BWI). DCA is the most convenient to the convention center and Conference host hotels. Please visit the Getting There page for more information.
Where should I stay when I'm in Washington, D.C.?
The Conference of Volunteering and Service has reserved room blocks at five hotels. The official Conference hotels include Grand Hyatt Washington, Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel, Washington Marriott at the Convention Center, Embassy Suites Washington D.C. and the Hampton Inn Washington D.C. Downtown = Convention Center. Rates range from $209 - $249 per night plus applicable taxes.
Discounted rates for these hotels will be available through our housing website, which attendees will have access to once they have completed the registration process. Please do not contact the hotel directly to make your reservation.
I have a question about my hotel reservation, who can I contact?
Please contact our hotel reservation desk by calling 301-694-5243 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will ground transportation be provided?
All Conference hotels are within walking distance to the Convention Center. The closest hotels are 0.2 miles from the Convention Center and the furthest hotel is 0.4 miles from the Convention Center. Please anticipate a 10-15 minute walk each morning. Hotel shuttles will not be provided.
What is the silent auction?
New to Conference this year, Points of Light will host an exclusive silent auction for Conference attendees that will take place during Conference. Bidding will be available online only. This auction will be for Conference attendees only and will give attendees the option to bid on items and experiences that can be fulfilled at Conference such as meet-and-greet opportunities and gifts provided by Conference exhibitors and sponsors. Physical items will be displayed for all Conference attendees in the exhibit hall. Conference attendees will receive more information closer to Conference about the items up for bid.