American Express Leadership Academy
October 17-19, 2015
In conjunction with the 2015 Conference on Volunteering and Service in Houston, TX, Points of Light is pleased to offer the American Express Leadership Academy, which is developed and delivered by the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL). This program offers 24 emerging leaders an opportunity to participate in a marquis leadership development training program that includes a feedback-intensive learning environment and hands-on activities to enhance the leadership capacity of all the attendees.
- Applicants must currently be in the volunteering and service sector and have an interest in advancing into positions with greater leadership responsibility during their career. Specifically, applicants must be managers expecting to assume executive-level roles within five to ten years.
- Applicants must be willing to commit to the one-year initiative and have the support of their organization to participate.
- Applicants must complete all required pre-academy work; attend the entire academy and implement lessons learned during the academy at their organizations; and participate in all follow-up activities.
- Applicants must be a citizen, a permanent resident of the U.S. or its territories, or a non-citizen who speaks English fluently.
- Applicants must pay for travel-related costs. Travel-related costs include the following items: meals, lodging, air travel, and ground transportation. Funds granted by American Express will cover costs to attend the Leadership Academy, a welcome dinner the night before the program starts, breakfast and lunch on day one, and breakfast on day two.
- Applicants will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Individual demonstrates a high potential for assuming leadership roles
- Demonstrates commitment to a career in the nonprofit sector
- Geography, ethnicity, gender and professional background are all factors that will be weighted evenly during the review process
It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit all requested documentation in one package as part of the application process. Incomplete applications or applications not in proper format will not be accepted. The decision of the selection committee is final and not subject to a review process.
Deadline: A complete application and supporting documentation must be sent to AmericanExpress@pointsoflight.org and received on or before Friday, July 17, 2015. Applications received after the designated deadline will not be considered. No exceptions. Please submit any questions to Stephanie Armelin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acceptance and declination notices will be distributed via email on Friday, August 7, 2015.
Required Application Materials
- Copy of your resume
- 500-1000 word essay with the following questions answered in a comprehensive manner with complete sentences and in paragraph format:
- How would attending the American Express Leadership Academy benefit you/your organization?
- What are your organization’s current leadership challenges?
- Describe the nature of the work you manage and the challenges you have experienced as a leader.
- Letter of recommendation from a direct supervisor
American Express Leadership Academy Schedule:
Location: Houston, TX Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel located at 1600 Lamar Street; Houston, TX 77010
American Express Leadership Academy Welcome Dinner
Saturday, October 17, 2015
5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Day One - Sunday, October 18, 2015
7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Breakfast & Lunch meals provided)
Day Two - Monday, October 19, 2015
7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (Breakfast meal provided)